I don't know about you but I find that dinners can easily get boring around our house when I try to cater for a child with food allergies, who is fussy, and I don't feel like cooking two meals every night! It's really handy to find some substitutes for normal ingredients like coconut aminos so everyone can enjoy the same meal.
Sometimes you just need to get a bit creative with the way you present the food!
One meat my kids love is chicken and I can serve it pretty much any way and they'll eat it (as long as it's not in a casserole which is a pain!)
I quite often cook 'crispy chicken' which they love. I simply toss some stir fry chicken or even diced chicken in some arrowroot starch and fry it in coconut oil. In this picture I've tossed it in Orgran Rice Crumbs for a change and any of their fantastic breadcrumbs will work great! No need to waste time doing an egg wash, just coat in some flour or bread crumbs and whack it in the pan!
I've also made a gluten free fried rice to go along with this that's soy and egg free as well. Coconut Aminos are a fantastic replacement for soy sauce for those with an allergy or sensitivity to soy, or those who just avoid it. I make a large batch so we have some left overs for lunch the next day. Just reduce the amount of rice if you need less - you might also want to reduce other quantities as well.
Gluten Free Fried Rice with Coconut Amino Recipe
400g raw basmatic rice
Splash of oil to saute in
200g diced bacon
1 large onion
2 cloves freshly crushed garlic
2 large carrots, peeled and diced (approx 300g)
1 red capsicum, diced finely
3 stalks celery, diced (150g)
1/4 cup (65mls) coconut aminos
- Cook rice - I make this ahead of time in my Thermomix
- Saute bacon, onion and garlic in oil for approximately 3 - 5 minutes until lightly browned
- Add assorted vegetables and fry for approx. 5 minutes
- Pop lid on frying pan and turn heat to low - steam vegetable for approx another 5 to 10 minutes
- Add cooked rice and coconut aminos and stir through well
- Turn heat back up to medium and mix thoroughly until all of the rice is warmed and the coconut aminos are well combined. You can add more coconut aminos if you feel you need to cover the rice more
- Serve warm with chicken on top - a nice bowl always makes dinner taste better!
Enjoy! Lisa x
If you've got a kid who's on quite a restricted diet or just super fussy, I created is handy meal chart a while back to show just what you can do with not many ingredients and a bit of imagination. Head on over and download your chart now - no opt in required. It's yours free :)
If you multiply out every meal combo on this chart it'll give you 480 simple meal idea options. You could even add other safe meats or fish and some other sides to the chart so you can easily come up with something simple and different to last night.
Need more help.....
Join the Happy Tummies community and get our Allergy Free Lunchbox Ideas e-book for FREE! Click here to join and get your book now!