Reusable food pouches have become really popular in the last few years and with good reason. There are lots of different types and sizes available so you can easily find some that are just right for your family. At Happy Tummies we have a number of different brands so you have plenty of choice.
This is why I love reusable food pouches for my children:
- They save you money - LOTS! If you think about it, you only need to use them once or twice and you have paid what you would have for the disposable supermarket ones. Imagine how much this will save you in a whole year!
- They are better for the environment - no disposable packaging.
- You can fill them with your own healthy food so you know exactly what's in the pouches.
- If you have children with food allergies, there are no limits to the fillings you put in the pouches. Make them dairy free, egg free, gluten free, sugar free....whatever you need!
- Your kids will still feel like everyone else at school who have disposable food pouches and packaged food. This isn't so important when kids are young, but I know from experience that as my kids get older they don't want anything different from the other kids in their lunchbox.
- You can freeze the pouches so you can prepare some fillings in bulk and just pull out as you need them. Just make sure you leave enough room for expansion when you fill the pouches.
- They come in different sizes so there is no waste - and you can get larger ones for kids with bigger appetites.
- They're cheap. Reusable food pouches generally come in packs of ten (trust me you'll want that many) and range in price from about $15.00 to $35.00. When you think about how many times you'll use them they are very inexpensive.
- All of the reusable food pouches we stock are BPA free.
- Easy to fill and clean. I recommend you fill a number of pouches at a time though and pop them in the fridge so they're ready to go. It would be a pain to fill one pouch at a time as you need it! I use a 1 litre Sinchie to fill my pouches if the filling is too thick to just pour in however you may prefer to use a small funnel or even a piping bag works well. To clean, simply scrub inside with a small brush with hot soapy water and leave upside down on your drainer to dry.
I've got a special treat for you this week. If you already get my newsletter you will get a link to download for FREE a copy of my first e-book Squishy Food: Recipes for Reusable Food Pouches. In this book you'll get allergy free recipes, filling and cleaning tips and heaps more. If you'd like to get your copy now and you don't yet get our newsletter click here.