I’ve had lots of attempts at a great gluten free chocolate cake recipe that works every time - both as a large cake and as cupcakes. I’ve tweaked this recipe over the years and am really happy with this recipe now. I did a version of this last year on the blog but have changed it a little and I think the result is better.
I didn’t have egg as a safe food for my son for quite some time so I created this recipe originally to work without eggs. I’m happy to let you know that chia seeds as an egg substitute work well.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
Gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, can be egg free
1 cup (85g) desiccated coconut
½ cup (90g) potato starch
½ cup (70g) sorghum flour (or white rice flour)
1½ cups (230g) coconut sugar (or rapadura sugar / raw sugar)
1 tsp bi-carb soda
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum (or guar gum)
2/3 cup (80g) raw cacao powder
1 – 2 tbsps Superfood for Kidz Berry Choc Chunk Powder (optional)
Pinch of salt
¼ cup (55g) coconut oil, melted
1 cup (250mls) dairy free milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 eggs or chia egg
- Heat oven to 170 °C
- If using a chia egg to replace 2 eggs, place 2 tbsps chia seeds and 6 tbsps of water into a small jug to sit for 5 minutes
- Toss all of the dry ingredients into a Thermomix or food processor and blitz until the desiccated coconut is fine like flour – about 30 secs
- Add the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, eggs (or chia egg) and milk and mix until well combined
- Place into a greased and lined cake tin or cupcake pans
- Cook for 20 minutes if making cupcakes, and about 50 minutes if making a single cake. Make sure you test to see if it needs a bit longer – the larger cake may
Recipe From happytummies.com.au - Copyright 2016 Happy Tummies
Tip: I usually cover a large cake on the base and over the top for the first 40 or so minutes with aluminium foil and remove the top cover for the last few minutes to stop it drying out and overcooking on the edges.
I hope you like it! Lisa x
PS. To ice this cake, I just use a mix of pure icing sugar, cacao powder and Nuttelex. You could easily use a healthier sugar free option if you prefer.
Join the Happy Tummies community and get our Allergy Free Lunchbox Ideas e-book for FREE! Click here to join and get your book now!