When I was a kid, I went a new school that had only opened the year before I went. This school had a tremendous community spirit and I have fond memories of a kid being up at the school with my dad on the weekends helping at busy bees. One of the things we all loved too was the lamington drive.
The mums at our school made the lamingtons from enormous slabs of sponge cake. For one day a year, our art room was turned into this magical lamington making room where all of the mums got together and made thousands of lamingtons to raise much needed funds for our school.
I can still remember going in to watch the mums working together to cut these enormous slabs of cake, mixing up the yummy chocolate glaze and twirling the cake in the glaze with forks before sprinkling generously with coconut.
I decided that because it's Australia Day next week, I had to show you how quick and easy gluten free lamingtons are to make. I'd made them once when Alex was doing food therapy and was pretty impressed with the result.
I used a Yes You Can Vanilla Cupcake Mix for the sponge, because the cake is light and yummy like the inside of a normal lamington. I haven't yet mastered a good gluten free sponge. If you have, feel free to use that, or any other cake mix you think would work :-)
Gluten Free Lamington Recipe
Gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, egg free
Makes approx. 16 lamingtons muffins
1 pack of Yes You Can Vanilla Cupcake Mix
60g dairy free spread (or butter if tolerated)
2 eggs or egg replacer (I used to use Orgran No Egg which works perfectly, or you can use Yes You Can Vegan Egg Replacer)
- Pre-heat oven to 160° C (or as required)
- Line a square cake tin with baking paper - mine is 20cm x 20cm
- Make cake mix up according to instructions and leave to cool completely on a wire rack
- Cut your sponge into the number of lamingtons you'd like - I made 16 from a 20cm x 20cm sponge cake
- Place all of the icing ingredients into a bowl and stir well
- Dip each piece of sponge into the icing mixture. Use 2 forks to help you coat the lamington. Lift the lamington up and let the excess icing drip into the icing bowl
- Gently toss the lamington in desiccated coconut
- Place back on the wire rack to set
Recipe From happytummies.com.au - Copyright 2017 Happy Tummies
Enjoy! Lisa x