I've been trying for ages to make a yummy allergy free chocolate cookie that my son can eat and I've finally cracked it this week. These cookies taste totally normal which can be tricky when you're allergy free cooking!
I used desiccated coconut as part of the flour blend to keep them nut free (and rice free for us) and I found if I blitzed the coconut with the other dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients the cookies were nice and smooth in texture - something my son always appreciates! I hope you like them :-)
Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies
Gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, egg free
½ cup (45g) desiccated coconut
½ cup (70g) sorghum flour
½ cup (60g) arrowroot starch
¼ cup (30g) cacao powder
1 tsp xanthan gum (or guar gum)
100g rapadura sugar (or sweetener of choice)
pinch of salt
40g coconut oil, solid (place in freezer for a few minutes if not solid)
3 tbsps (60mls) cold water
- Pre-heat oven to 170° C
- Line a tray with baking paper
- Grind together all dry ingredients in a food processor (if using a Thermomix grind on speed 9 for 10 secs)
- Add solid coconut oil and blitz for a few seconds until it resembles breadcrumbs (if using a Thermomix mix on speed 5 for 5 secs)
- Add cold water and mix again until thoroughly combined and nice and smooth (if using a Thermomix combine on speed 5 for 5 secs, scrape down and repeat if necessary)
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until cooked
- Leave to cool on the tray (if you can.....)
Tip: You could cook them a little longer to make them crunchy!
PS. Feel free to swap out ingredients to suit your dietary requirements. You could use any starch to replace the arrowroot starch. You could also swap sorghum for a similar weight flour like brown rice flour or millet, although I choose sorghum because my son is rice free and I like to use a blend of lighter flavoured flours to produce a more 'normal' taste.
Enjoy! Lisa x
Join the Happy Tummies community and get our Allergy Free Lunchbox Ideas e-book for FREE! Click here to join and get your book now!